Luke had a VERY bad reaction to an antibiotic that he was taking called Omnicef. He had taken it twice before and had done fine. This time was different-he had been taking it for about 7 days when he broke out in a hive/rash, but it was only on his ears and neck. It got worse that night and I took him in. They said there was nothing I could really do and to just watch him. He was about the same the next day just a little more grumpy.
Mon morning he woke up and I could barely recognize him! He was swollen about 3 times his normal size and his eyes were almost closed shut. I rushed him to the urgent care and then my allergist and they both said-just an allergic reaction. So I went home and not an hour later his lips and finger nails started to turn blue..so off to the ER we went. We were there for about 3 hours and they still didn't know what to do for him. His breathing was ok and they saw nothing else they could do but watch him. So we went home AGAIN...and then the next morning was worse!
He was even more swollen only now he could not walk and was crying constently. I decided to take him to Mary Bridge Childrens Hospital this time and they finally were able to give me a name-Erythema Multiforme. The reaction had gone into his mucous membranes and his hives were now lesions. He also had a secondary infection called Serum Sickness-swelling into the joints and tissues. This is like having extreme arthritis and is why he was so painful and not walking. We were at the ER for about 5 hours this time but at least I was able to leave with knowing what it was and that he was going to be ok. This was supposed to last for 2-6 weeks(only lasted a week) and there was a potential for things to get worse where the lesions would attack his internal organs and his skin would start falling off resulting in burn like lesions-but I know due to prayer that this was avoided-Praise God! Thank you to all who prayed and helped during this really hard week for us-we love you!!
Mon morning he woke up and I could barely recognize him! He was swollen about 3 times his normal size and his eyes were almost closed shut. I rushed him to the urgent care and then my allergist and they both said-just an allergic reaction. So I went home and not an hour later his lips and finger nails started to turn blue..so off to the ER we went. We were there for about 3 hours and they still didn't know what to do for him. His breathing was ok and they saw nothing else they could do but watch him. So we went home AGAIN...and then the next morning was worse!
He was even more swollen only now he could not walk and was crying constently. I decided to take him to Mary Bridge Childrens Hospital this time and they finally were able to give me a name-Erythema Multiforme. The reaction had gone into his mucous membranes and his hives were now lesions. He also had a secondary infection called Serum Sickness-swelling into the joints and tissues. This is like having extreme arthritis and is why he was so painful and not walking. We were at the ER for about 5 hours this time but at least I was able to leave with knowing what it was and that he was going to be ok. This was supposed to last for 2-6 weeks(only lasted a week) and there was a potential for things to get worse where the lesions would attack his internal organs and his skin would start falling off resulting in burn like lesions-but I know due to prayer that this was avoided-Praise God! Thank you to all who prayed and helped during this really hard week for us-we love you!!